Occasions for Proclamations
City proclamations, certificates of appreciation or recognition are issued on the following occasions:
- When the issue pertains to a City of Sequim event, person, organization, or cause with local implications
- When the requests are timely, have potential relevance to a majority of Sequim’s populations, and forward positive messages
These documents can be read at a City Council meeting, mailed, or held for pick-up.
Proclamations should reflect inclusiveness, not exclusiveness, and recognize that the strength of our democracy is our diversity. It must not take sides in matters of political, ideological or religious controversy or individual convictions.
Proclamations must have a citywide significance and demonstrate relevancy to Sequim.
Requesting a Proclamation
PRESENTING AT CITY COUNCIL MEETINGS
Requests for proclamations are reviewed by the City Staff and the Mayor. The Mayor will read the proclamation and present it to the party requesting the proclamation. The representative may make a brief comment after the proclamation is made.
Instructions for accepting proclamations and recognition at a City Council meeting:
- Proclamations and recognitions are presented at the beginning of the meeting. It is advised that you arrive a few minutes before the start time of the meeting.
- If you or anyone in your party has mobility issues, please let the City Clerk's Office know beforehand so we can have staff deliver the proclamation or recognition to you during the meeting. A hand-held microphone can be made available.
- The Mayor will begin by reading all or a portion of the proclamation/recognition. At that time, you may come forward and accept the proclamation, then say a few words. You may bring others with you.
- Please identify yourself and anyone else with you by name and your organization and title. You may make brief comments (about 1-3 minutes).
- After accepting the proclamation or recognition, you may be seated or feel free to leave the meeting.
If you have any questions, please contact the City Clerk's Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 360-683-4908.