September 2018

WEEK ENDING sEPTEMBER 28

Council,

Here are this week’s items: 

Council Follow-Through

-    Upgrading Council IT Equipment – Councilor Janisse has a test Microsoft Surface that he’ll be using for the next couple of weeks.  We also have a survey that we will be sending out to you next week to assess your needs.  We’ll be buying equipment a couple of weeks from now, based upon Councilor Janisse’s experience and the survey results.  We will then receive the equipment and we are planning a training for 10/22 or 11/12 with all of you during a work session.  Our goal is to meet your needs and to get on one platform.

-    2163 (Homelessness Housing Program) Funding – Doc Robinson, from Serenity House, approached us this week about Serenity House applying for grant funding from the County to run a shuttle from Sequim to the Port Angeles shelter 365 days per year.  We took him up on his offer as this is a model we’ve discussed previously with Council and that you’ve supported.  We’d have a contract directly with Serenity House to run this service as we would be able to use the contract to make sure that they have appropriate insurance and an appropriate level of service at the shelter.

-    Warming Center – As we prepare for the human services workshops in late October and early November, we’ve realized the potential of having a warming center type facility operate year-round.  The shuttle service mentioned above could be connected to it.  This is something we will explore in our workshop with human services agencies as an idea.  It might make it through the process to you for potential funding.  We are confident that having this type of service in place would allow us to more actively enforce our no camping ordinances.

Related Items

-    Short Term IT Support – Clallam County staff will be on site next week to shadow Janine and will then be providing us support in the short run.  We have an interlocal agreement with them where we reimburse each other for staff time.  We used the agreement recently when we cleared the sewer lines in Clallam Bay, at the County’s request.  We are putting together an MOU that will support our interlocal agreement and clarify service levels during this time.  We are evaluating our options for the long-run, including the possibility of contracting with the County, if they are interested in delivering services to us more permanently.

-    Code Compliance Kudo – We received the attached kudo today for Lisa Hopper’s work.

-    Planning Calendar – Was attached

-    Work Cell Phone – I have a new work cell phone now.  The number is 360-565-6415.

Thanks,

Charlie

Week Ending September 21

Council,

Here are this week’s items:

Council Follow-Through

-    Transportation Benefit District (TBD) Information – David Garlington will be presenting at several venues over the next few weeks to provide information and to answer questions about the TBD.  We are also preparing an information mailer that will go out to Sequim residents.

-    Consolidated Criminal Justice Contract – As you know, we received a letter from the County rescinding their termination letter this week.  Both Port Angeles and the County agreed to the way forward that we discussed.  Port Angeles is not real excited about creating a successor agreement but there is enough room to work through discussions and everyone agrees that doing a system efficiency study is a good idea.  We are hosting a meeting for October with all the parties to move in that direction.  We also have our municipal court study underway.  Given the County’s change of heart regarding termination of the contact, we are in a bit less of a hurry and I’ve given our consultant until 11/15 to complete her work.  She will then be available to provide a presentation about it at the date of our choosing.  Right now, I’m thinking the perfect meeting to discuss this could be December 10.  Special thanks on this goes to Tiffany Banning, our new Executive Administrative Assistant to the Police Chief (replaced the retired Victoria Ormand) and to Erika Hamerquist, our Legal Secretary, for moving this study along.

-    Marina Study – Our RFP is drawing interest and we worked with the Port to do a marina tour with potential consultants this week.  Thanks go out to Barry, Kristina, and David for their leadership on this one.

-    Grassroots Summit – The Japan America Society Grassroots Summit is here.  Our three guests arrived yesterday and are staying with host families.  You may recall that we committed to hosting people as a part of the Summit, which covers our whole state and has its main activities in Seattle, during the summer of 2017.  Our International Team (Gary, Charisse, Pete, Janine, and myself), along with intern Darynn Lung, did a lot of logistical and planning work to execute our part of the conference, which is a three-night homestay with affiliated activities.  Yesterday’s arrival, in conjunction with the delegation going to Port Townsend, involved lunch and a tribal tour compliments of the Jamestown S’Klallam Tribe.  Special thanks go to the Tribe for supporting lunch for both cities, the Grassroots Summit participants, and the host families.  The Grassroots Summit alternates between Japan and the United States at different locations in both countries.  It is not likely to be in Seattle again for several decades.  Here is more information, if you are curious.

-    Shiso City, Japan Student Delegation – We also have a delegation of students in town from our Sister City in Japan.  We’ll be combining activities with the Grassroots Summit on Friday night for a dinner and on Saturday for a tour of Sequim.  Deputy Mayor Pratt will welcome the students to Sequim today at 3:30 PM in the Council Chambers.  Thanks go to Pete Tjemsland for his tireless work in the Sister Cities area.

-    State Transportation Commission – David Garlington and Matt Klontz presented to the State Transportation Commission last week during their visit to the area.  We teamed with the Jamestown S’Klallam Tribe to pitch 101 Corridor Improvements.  Our presentation appeared to be well received.

-    Opportunity Zone Presentation – I didn’t squeeze this into my last city manager report, but my presentation last Monday to a broad audience of attendees, including a representative from the National Development Council, economic development partners, and property owners, went well.  Thanks go to Barry for his work on the presentation I provided.  You may recall that Downtown Sequim and the area going east on Washington Street, between Washington and 101, out to Simdars, represents the area of Sequim with this designation.  As an Opportunity Zone, investors in this area can avoid paying a percentage of federal capital gains taxes or all federal capital gains taxes if they invest for more than 10 years.  There is an investor conference being planned in Seattle in November that will attempt to match property owners in the state’s designated opportunity zones with investors.  We plan to participate and will organize our community’s participation once we have more details.

-    EDC – EDC staff have been spending a lot of time on the Opportunity Zone Program, which was not contemplated when we contracted with them, and which will continue well into the future.  The program runs directly through them, by design from the state.  The Emerald Coast Opportunity Zone was the only collaborative Opportunity Zone in the entire country and is generating a lot of interest.  It is clearly a positive development for Sequim and something we can potentially leverage for economic and housing development.  As a result of all the time and effort spent with the Opportunity Zone Program, Sequim staff and EDC staff have some interest in revisiting our contract, which continues to add services into the future while not considering the amount of time needed to support the Opportunity Zone Program.  This is a heads up that we’ll want to talk more with you on this topic this fall.

-    Meeting with Michael Smith, from Shipley Center – I had an initial meeting with Michael Smith this week to discuss a possible contract for service with Shipley Center for 2019.  You may recall that when we adopted the human services guiding principles, we mentioned the human services contracts we have in place with Shipley Center and Boys & Girls Club and that we recommend converting them to direct contracts for service, rather than having them compete for human services funding with the process we have planned for the next few months.  Both fit into a parks and recreation category where the City could provide the same services, which makes them easy to contract.  We are recommending using the $30,000 in funding that the City was providing to the YMCA for these contracts.  I am having preliminary discussions with both agencies and plan to bring you contracts for your consideration that total close to the $30,000 amount.  Shipley Center and the Boys & Girls Club can still compete for the $75,000 in human services funding in the 2019 budget but the process we are facilitating, which will be targeted towards specific outcomes based upon your adopted guiding principles, makes that pot of money a less likely funding source than in the past for both.  Another possible consideration for agencies and the Council to consider could be one-time expenditures to support either capital needs that enhance services to our community or pilot projects that might provide a significant improvements in service delivery to our community.  I will be meeting with Michael again next month and I have a meeting with Mary Budke, from the Boys & Girls Club, late this month.

-    Human Services Workshops – Planning for the workshops that will help to identify high value human services investment areas, is underway.  The stakeholder workshop is being planned for October 30 and the community workshop, which will review and discuss the results of the stakeholder workshop, is being planned for November 14.  We’ll have more details on both during our upcoming human services updates that occur during the City Manager’s Report at Council meetings.  After the workshops, we will return to Council to check-in regarding the results.  We then plan to put out requests for proposals to fund the identified projects/services.  Once we received “bids” for those services, we’ll recommend funding options to you.  If you choose to move ahead, we will then execute contracts.  We are aiming to have contracts for 2019 in place by the end of January.  Thanks go to Sean Madison, Sheri, Charisse, Kristina, and the GREASE Team for their work in this area.

-    Housing Workshop – Barry is working with our consultants to plan the housing workshop, to review and discuss the results of the housing study before those results come to Council.  The workshop will be in October or November and is likely to have GREASE Team support.

-    Budget Workshop – A December budget workshop with the community, which will kick off the 2020 budget process and will feed into the January 2019 Council Advance, is being planned.  The workshop was an idea we discussed in at the Council’s first Advance this year.  It is a part of the revised budget process we are gradually working towards.  The GREASE Team will be helping to facilitate this one.

-    Broadband – With changes in the Information Technology Department, I am going to be taking on our broadband Council goal.  I expect to get into it fully in the next few weeks.

Related Items

-    Information Technology – Janine Pfeffer-Taggart, Senior IT Systems Analyst, resigned this week, effective 10/5.  We are going to miss Janine.  She has been a great part of our team in IT, besides the work she did with the GREASE Team, with this year’s Grassroots Summit, and with other projects.  With Janine leaving, we have an interesting scenario in IT with no staff.  It provides us an opportunity to consider other service delivery models, including contracting for the service with another government or a private entity, which is a model used in some small cities.  In the short run, we are going to fill the gap with private contractors until we work out a more permanent solution.  I have asked Sue Hagener to oversee IT as a part of the Administrative Services group moving forward.  We’ll be having a reception for Janine that we’ll announce in separate email.

-    ServiceFest Drawing International Interest – Our local Habitat Chapter received confirmation that they’ve been asked to present in two sessions about ServiceFest and our Neighborhood Revitalization Program during Habitat’s International Conference that occurs every other year in Atlanta.  Habitat requested that I take part as well and I intend to go as it is a great opportunity to encourage Habitat Chapters to work collaboratively with their local governments, besides telling our story.  It is in March next year.  We’ve also submitted Neighborhood Revitalization and ServiceFest for an innovation award through the Alliance for Innovation and as a session topic for the Transforming Local Government Conference in Reno, NV in April 2019.

-    Neighborhood Plan – With various staff transitions, we are aiming to have you a plan in the first quarter of 2019.  This plan will help us clearly define how we are going to engage neighborhoods going forward.

-    Meeting with Gary Neal – Gary Neal and I renewed our monthly meetings this week to coordinate efforts between the City and School District.  Items discussed included Fir Street, our upcoming School Safety Forum (I’ll be participating along with the Police Department), School District Capital Projects, and the City’s upcoming Human Services and Housing Summits.

-    Charisse Deschenes Accepted to Inaugural Northwest Women’s Academy – Congratulations to Assistant City Manager Charisse Deschenes!  She will be a part of the first class of the Academy, formed by the Washington/City County Management Association to support women advancing in the city and county management profession; only 13% of city and county management positions are currently held by women.  Charisse was selected from a highly competitive field of applicants.  Here is more on the Academy.

-    Planning Calendar – Was attached

Thanks,

Charlie


Week Ending September 7

Council,

Here are this week’s items:

Council Follow-Up

  • Emerald Coast Opportunity Zone Presentation – The National Development Council and the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco will be in Sequim, Port Angeles, and Forks on Monday and Tuesday learning about development opportunities within the Emerald Coast Opportunity Zone. You may recall that Forterra also recently visited the area. The purpose of this meeting is to identify potential projects. I’ll be presenting for 15-20 minutes on Sequim’s opportunities on Monday morning. The public is invited. Our session is from 10-11 in the Council Chambers. If you are interested in attending, please let Karen know so that we can post any quorum that might develop.
  • John Wayne Marina Assessment – We have an RFQ out to seek consulting assistance on evaluating ongoing costs and future infrastructure improvements needed at John Wayne Marina in anticipation of future discussions with the Port of Port Angeles.
  • Economic Development and Broadband Funding Opportunities Seminar – I’ll be attending a funding seminar in Port Angeles next week on this topic put on by staff from Senators Cantwell and Murray’s offices as well as USDA Rural Development and some of our state agencies.
  • Code Compliance Update – I’ve gotten questions from a couple of you regarding the status of our code compliance improvement efforts. We heard from the Leadership ICMA Team in June and at that time promised you a follow-up briefing with our road map for how we plan to incorporate their recommendations. We’ve also reflected some of their recommendations in the 2019 recommended budget. Early implementation steps include providing a high priority emphasis on the International Property Maintenance Code as we complete the next round of code scrub actions. We also have money in the budget to purchase a software package to help staff track and carry out code compliance actions. Further, we have a position in the recommended budget that would increase our emphasis on code enforcement through community development. We’ll have more on this topic for you in a briefing this fall.

Related Items

  • Sequim Warming Center – OlyCAP informed us yesterday that the Sequim Warming Center has found a location at the 7th Day Adventist Church on North Sequim Avenue. OlyCAP is seeking additional financial support from Clallam County’s document recording fee collections. I talked with Mark Ozias today about their request and will also be following up with Randy Johnson.
  • Red Cross Facility Use Agreement for Guy Cole – Our agreement for Red Cross to use Guy Cole as a shelter had expired so we recently renewed it.
  • Potential Parks & Recreation Contracts for Service – I’m scheduling meetings with Shipley Center and the Boys & Girls Club to discuss transitioning their human services grants this year into contracts for service for 2019. This is something we discussed with you while we were talking about guiding principles this spring. We wouldn’t be decreasing the amount to either agency and might be able to remove a few of the strings attached to the funding they receive from us. Anything that I tentatively work out with them would need to come to you for consideration before it became effective. This would be separate from the $75,000 we have allocated for 2019 human services contracts in the recommended budget. That amount is consistent with prior years but if Shipley Center and the Boys & Girls Club move into a different category, we’ll be able to fund some additional human services items over prior years. We’ve recommended $30,000 for service contracts, to include Shipley and the Boys & Girls Club, in the 2019 budget. We are planning two workshops and then additional follow-up with you to resolve how we might allocate the $75,000 slated for human services funding.
  • Breakfast with Mark Ozias – Mayor Smith and I had breakfast with Mark Ozias today. Items discussed included human services, court services, the County Health Board (we need to appoint someone so let Karen know if you have an interest), 101 corridor improvements, and economic development.
  • Planning Calendar -  Was attached

Thanks,

Charlie