May 2019

for week ending may 24

Council,

Here are this week's items:

Council Follow-Through

  • Meeting with Heartland – Staff met with Heartland this week, the firm hired by John Wayne Enterprises to evaluate their property on the east end of Sequim. Items discussed included zoning, land use processes, infrastructure availability, and John Wayne Marina.
  • Sequim Ad Hoc Housing Committee – The Committee met on Monday night. Most of the meeting was dedicated to a discussion with developers about the cost of development, with the specific topic being the possibility of fee waivers and their impact on developments costs. The Committee also explored the cost drivers for housing development in Sequim and what housing types could be most affordable. Some recommendations are starting to form. There is likely to be significant Committee deliberation over recommendations in their remaining three meetings. The next meeting is set for Monday, June 3 at 5:30 PM, likely in the Council Chambers if it is available. We should finish up in July, or early August at the latest. At that point, I’ll be coordinating with Barry to make sure that provide a comprehensive set of recommendations from the work of the Ad Hoc Housing Committee and the Planning Commission. Councilors Armacost, Pratt, and Lake are representing the Council on this committee.
  •  Meeting with Evan Smith and Mary Jane Robbins, from Representative Kilmer’s Office – Barry and I met with representatives from Derek Kilmer’s Office this week to discuss economic development. Main topics covered included the Emerald Coast Opportunity Zone, Simdars/101 improvements, John Wayne Marina, Pacific Northwest National Labs, Sequim’s Eastern and Western Economic Opportunity Areas, and housing.
  • Climate Change Planning – The North Olympic Development Council (NODC) is engaging members with an opportunity to partner with other NODC members on climate change adaptation planning and monitoring. Given our Resiliency and Sustainability Resolution and its monitoring targets, plus other efforts in the City related to climate change, we intend to participate at a staff level through Ann Soule. Councilor Jennifer States, as the City’s representative to the NODC, also intends to participate. There may be the opportunity to share some grant funding moving forward that would help the NODC’s jurisdictions accomplish their planning and monitoring goals in a more cost-effective way.
  •  Sequim Broadband Action Team (BAT) – Our Sequim Broadband Action Team met for the first time on Wednesday night. Items discussed included the Team’s charter, who needs to be at the table, strategy, a future Community Economic Revitalization Board (CERB) grant proposal, and our next meeting (June 13th at 5:00 PM at the Civic Center). Councilor Bob Lake is representing the Council on the BAT.
  • Solar Policy – One of the key assignments from our Evans School MPA Fellow this summer will be to advance our work on solar policy in the City. This was a segment of the Council goals that we delayed due to the workload associated with John Wayne Marina this year. We’ve got an outstanding grant request to install solar on the roof of the Civic Center that we’ll learn about in the next few weeks. You may have also seen some coverage on Clallam Public Utility District’s planned solar array on East Washington. We’ll have an interlocal agreement on that topic for your consideration in the next few weeks.
  •  Meetings with BERK Consulting – I represented the City in Port Angeles at a kickoff meeting with BERK Consulting this week for the criminal justice system efficiencies study. Kristina and I will be representing the City on the steering committee as the study gets underway, per our interlocal agreement with the City of Port Angeles and Clallam County . BERK will be presenting the study to you directly in a future work session slated to take place late this year.
  • South Sequim Connector Public Engagement – We’ve retained a public engagement firm to assist us with evaluating a more effective east/west transportation connection south of Washington and North of 101. We had intended to get started with our public engagement this month but due to capital projects, and a high volume of development activity that we cannot predict but need to address as it comes in, we’ve delayed our work in this area until the fall.

Related Items

  • Youth Services Task Force – We have a meeting today where we’ll be continuing work on the youth summit planned for the fall.
  •  Reusable Mug Pilot – We engaged coffee shops across Sequim with an opportunity to partner in a take-out reusable mug pilot program. Unfortunately, we did not generate enough interest to launch the pilot project so we’ve discontinued our efforts in this specific area. We’ll have more on solid waste, the topic of one of your goals, in general coming your way in June.
  • Safe Routes to Schools Grant – All indications are that the City will be receiving a Safe Routes to Schools Grant later this year to fund the construction of sidewalk gaps on the west side of Sequim Avenue north of Hendrickson and reconstruction of the roundabout at Port Williams/Olympic Highway and Sequim Avenue for pedestrian and bicycle safety. We should have more on this in the coming weeks and months, including grant acceptance documents for your consideration. This project was a request that emerged from the Lavender Circle Neighborhood during our engagement with them over the past few years.
  •  Meeting with EDC Executive Director Colleen McAleer – Barry and I met with Colleen McAleer, the new Clallam Economic Development Corporation (EDC) Executive Director. Items discussed included updating the contract, workforce development, public membership and service delivery, the North Olympic Legislative Alliance (NOLA), board representation, and the Emerald Coast Opportunity Zone.
  • Planning Calendar - Was attached

Thanks,

Charlie Bush

City Manager


For week ending may 17

Council,

Here are this week's items:

Council Direction

-    John Wayne Marina - We are planning to bring the marina assessment to a work session on June 10.  We will also ask for your review, and potential update, to our John Wayne Marina resolution that evening.  We had a productive meeting with the Jamestown S'Klallam Tribe this week and they remain committed to evaluating partnership options with us through the Port's Request for Information (RFI) process.  We've agreed that the challenge is about a $30 million shortfall over the next 20 years and that it will take some creative problem solving, flexibility, and ultimately some changes to the Marina as we've come to know it, to close the gap.  June is a key check-in month for staff with you, to make sure that we have clear direction for discussions with the Tribe and engagement with our community.  Starting in July, we've planned to meet frequently with the Tribe to work extensively on what we'd plan to propose to the Port in December.  We are also meeting with the firm doing work for Wayne Enterprises, Heartland, next week.

-    January Council Advance - We are beginning to think about the next Council Advance.  It will greatly help the organization if the next set of goals can focus more on defining a few, perhaps three, two-year outcomes that you want to achieve.  Staff could then create strategies for your consideration to achieve the outcomes.  We would also like to engage in a “stop doing” exercise regarding some of the older goals from previous Councils that we are still pursuing.  We are thinking about what type of planning process might lead us to these types of results.  We'll bring more to you this fall for your consideration.

Council Follow-Through

-    Sequim Health and Housing Collaborative (SHHC) Contract - I am actively engaged with the SHHC in working through our draft contract.  We are aiming for the 6/10 City Council meeting for potential action.  Discussions are also underway to merge the SHHC and the City's Human Services Management Team as we look to further blend and streamline community and internal teams, where it makes sense.

-    Broadband Action Team (BAT) - Our first BAT meeting is scheduled for next Wednesday.  We have verbal commitments from the Port and the North Olympic Development Council (NODC) that they will include us in a future regional Community Economic Revitalization Board (CERB) broadband planning grant.  We are the first BAT to form in Clallam County (there is one in Jefferson) following the broadband workshop hosted by NODC a few months ago.  Our team is going to work to refine team membership, clarify goals, focus on gaps in service, and to conduct our own preliminary broadband assessment throughout the next few months.  We'll have an update at a Council meeting as we get a bit further into the work.  We are fortunate to have formed a team that includes former telecommunications executives, current providers, key public stakeholders, and other technically oriented community members.  Councilor Lake has also volunteered to participate on the BAT.

-    Sequim Ad Hoc Housing Committee - Our next meeting is scheduled for Monday.

Related Items

-    Monthly Meeting with Port Angeles City Manager Nathan West - We had our monthly meeting this week.  Items discussed included city budgets, sewer extensions, professional development, Chamber of Commerce collaboration, and overall collaboration.

-    Sorensen Impact Foundation Emerald Coast Opportunity Zone Interview – On Monday, I participated in a series of interviews being conducted across the US by the Sorensen Impact Foundation .  The interviews focus on the federal Opportunity Zone Program.  The Foundation is profiling the Emerald Coast effort, along with an opportunity zone in Utah and another in New York City.  The video interviews will help to promote a grant program aimed at stimulating innovation in the opportunity zones (we are being profiled as an innovation by the way we’ve structured our regional collaboration).  The videos should be released during the summer.  They brought a feature movie film crew (picture below) to the shoot, which was a new one for me.  Time was limited so I met them in Blyn for a shot with the bay as a backdrop.  Most of the Tribes on the Olympic Peninsula, including the Jamestown S’Klallam, participated in the interviews.  We were the only Emerald Coast city to participate directly.  Special thanks goes to the EDC for their work collaborating with the Department of Commerce to coordinate all of the logistics for the interviews.

  • Coffee with Dr. Genevra Harker-Kilmes, the new Director of the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) Sequim Marine Sciences Lab - I had coffee this week with Dr. Genevra Harker-Kilmes, the new Director at PNNL in Sequim. Items discussed included development of PNNL’s 20-year plan for their Sequim facility, John Wayne Marina, an upcoming tour of their facility, spinoff businesses, the Emerald Coast Opportunity Zone, and PNNL collaboration with the City where we have mutual objectives (like desalination).
  • Sequim Green Economy Workshop, June 6 and 7 – We’ve postponed this workshop, due to lower than expected registration numbers, until at least the fall or possibly next year.

 University of Washington Evans School Summer Fellow Interviews - We conducted interviews this week for the summer graduate school intern you approved in the first quarter budget amendment. We should have a selection to announce next week. We are looking forward to accelerating work on some projects this summer! We had great applicants.

 Planning Calendar - Was attached

Thanks,

Charlie Bush

City Manager


For Week Ending May 10

Council,

I don’t have much for this week’s update.  There is a lot happening, from a management and policy implementation perspective, but not much that needs to be communicated directly this week.

This past week, I attended the Chamber Board meeting, met with two lavender farms regarding Lavender Weekend plans, conducted a tour with University of Washington International students, worked on some issues with the Irrigation Festival, responded to media and public inquiries related to John Wayne Marina, discussed a contract with the Sequim Sister City Association, met with a developer to help resolve some development issues, met with a resident concerned about their street’s condition, supported staff planning the Fir Street groundbreaking event, and of course did all the usual city management stuff, including working on the Council agenda.  Have a great weekend and I’ll see you all on Monday.

Planning calendar was attached.

Thanks,

Charlie Bush

City Manager


for week ending may 3

Council,

I found a spare moment during Irrigation Festival so here are this past week’s items:

Council Follow Through

-    Sequim Ad Hoc Housing Committee – The committee had its second meeting this past week.  We continued discussion on differential taxing rates and then proceeded into a discussion on cash offsets (fee waivers) that took most of the meeting.  We’ve got some follow-up work to do for the next meeting, later this month, where we’ll also move on to the next recommendation.  We are making progress and remain on schedule to finish after 6 meetings.  We’ll likely be done sometime this summer at the rate we are proceeding (almost two meetings per month).

-    Launch of the People’s Project – We had successful engagements this past week at both the high school and the middle school.  High school students were able to vote and we collected 150 votes there.  We had great discussions at both venues.  The People’s Project continued on Friday night and Saturday with hundreds of votes collected at First Friday Art Walk and during the Irrigation Festival Street Fair.  We are excited to take a close look at the results.

-    Breakfast with Commissioner Ozias and Mayor Smith – We had our monthly breakfast this week.  Items discussed included metropolitan parks districts, parks planning, 101 improvements, our recent joint meeting, and economic development.

Related Items

-    Jason Loihle is a Black Back in Lean 6 Sigma – Jason, our Management Analyst, completed his program with the University of Washington this past Friday.  He is now a black belt, capable of training other people.  We will be partnering up with Kitsap County’s Lean office in the next couple of months to attend a training there and then putting our own program in place.  Jason’s capstone project was improving our credit card process, something that the State Auditor’s Office noted for improvement in our recent audit.  We’ll have some exciting results to share at a future Council meeting from the work Jason and the team did to improve that process.  As we get a team established, we are going to want to allocate more of Jason’s time to Lean 6 Sigma.  We don’t have capacity to have him spend a lot more time on it right now so this is something we’ll be looking to address through the 2020 budget process.  Lean 6 Sigma has the potential to save the City a lot of time and money through improving processes.  In many cases, the City also needs to establish processes and we are going to use Lean Six Sigma principles to establish them efficiently from the start.

-    Gallup Employee Engagement Survey Underway – In 2017, we measured employee engagement using the Gallup Q12 survey.  We registered 63% engagement, which is at the bottom end of world class engagement (the national average across sectors is around 30% engagement).  We did some work the past couple of years to improve engagement and are in the process of resurveying with the Q12.  We’ll eventually be sharing our action plan and results with you.  Here is more, in a couple of short videos from Gallup, on the Q12 and employee engagement.

-    Human By Design Government Performance Consortium (GPC) Workshop – Staff from the City Manager’s Office attended this day long workshop on design thinking on Wednesday in Tacoma.  It particularly focused on usability testing in the process of redesigning forms, providing us with some new tools moving forward. 

-    Peninsula Behavioral Health Annual Gala – I attended this event on Friday night on the City’s behalf.

-    Planning Calendar - Was attached

Thanks,

Charlie Bush

City Manager