NO update for week ending October 16
Week ending october 9
Here are this week’s items:
- 2021 COVID-19 Possible Community Investments Planning – I’ve begun coordinating with staff and partners on what additional community investments I may recommend to you in 2021, or perhaps even as early as late this year (federal funding sources from the current CARES Act are expected to run out at the end of November). I am working on two scenarios: 1) federal funding continues to be available; and 2) federal funding is no longer available. Examples of the types of investments I am evaluating include additional small business funding, additional human services funding, additional childcare funding, etc. Depending upon when a vaccine is implemented widely enough to begin to reduce health and safety laws (such as limiting gathering sizes, social distancing, and mask wearing), timely investments in certain areas prior to things further opening up could help prevent more businesses from closing and more people from having personal crises, quickening our community’s recovery time from the pandemic. We want to make sure that we provide you with solid recommendations to consider prior to the window when those investments could have the greatest impact, which is why we are working on it now.
- CODE Scrub and Other 2018-2019 Council Goals – Implementation of many of our 2018-2019 goals was originally planned to go well beyond the two-year timeframe. Staff committed this week to trying to complete much of what remains by the end of next year. Of particular focus is the “code scrub”, which represents two of the six Council goals. Staff have continued to work on code revisions this year, despite COVID-19 and other hurdles, and will now methodically begin bringing salvos of them to our Boards and Commissions and to the City Council. Assuming the Council is still committed to this effort, you should expect a steady stream of code amendments through the end of next year. We’ll also be bringing a report on the status of the Council goals to you by the end of the year to make sure we are on the same page about what we are able to accomplish, what you want us to accomplish, and what might drop off the list.
- Chamber Board Meeting – Councilor Smith and I attended the Sequim Dungeness Valley Chamber of Commerce Board meeting this week.
- Board of County Commissioners CARES Act Work Session – I attended the Board of County Commissioners discussion on CARES Act funding on Monday. The focus of these sessions continues to be the latest round of funding provided by the State, which needs to be allocated and spent by the end of November. We continue to coordinate with childcare providers on their countywide request, which currently stands at $140,000 to cover the month of November. There presently isn’t a regional plan for what will happen after November if no additional federal money is available but we, at the City of Sequim, are starting to do some of our own thinking (see above) for the Sequim area.
- Planning Calendar - Was attached
week ending october 2
Here are this week’s items:
- Civic Center Solar Dashboard Goes Live - Public Works and IT recently posted on our website a “dashboard” showing solar energy generation from our Civic Center Rooftop installation, which was successfully completed in June using COVID construction protocols. The public can now view real-time energy production as well as recent history. It’s very interesting, for example, to see production drop way down when our normally blue skies were filled with wildfire smoke. Our relatively simple dashboard came included with the Solar Edge inverter that we had installed with our grant from WA Dept. of Commerce, which covered one-third of all construction costs. It will be useful to Facilities staff (Del/PW and IT) as they monitor energy production as compared with usage in the building. https://www.sequimwa.gov/965/Civic-Center-Solar
- BOCC CARES Act Discussion – I attended the Board of County Commission (BOCC) meeting on Monday to represent the Countywide Childcare Committee. We presented a request for additional countywide childcare investments through January (a total need of about $470,000). The commissioners were receptive to the request and we’ll await their final decision in the next few weeks regarding funding for October and November. The Boys & Girls Clubs are serving as the administrative agent (contacting with the County) to a consortium of 6 organizations that are working together to serve countywide childcare needs for school-aged children.
- Meeting Between Commissioner Ozias and Mayor Armacost – Commissioner Ozias and Mayor Armacost had their monthly meeting last Friday. Items discussed included the Council’s upcoming special meeting, the statewide behavioral health forecast, public health messaging, and the US census.
- Youth Services Task Force – The Youth Services Task Force met last Friday and received updates from Clallam Transit, St. Vincent DePaul, the Boys & Girls Club, the YMCA, and North Olympic Library System. Of note, Clallam Transit’s ridership is at about 40% of normal due to COVID. St. Vincent DePaul is seeing a slowing of requests for assistance. The Boys & Girls Club continues to work through increasing its staffing to meet increased demand. North Olympic Library System continues to work to improve its curbside service in Sequim. The Sequim YMCA is providing more space for kids with internet needs and has trained 60 teens in Sequim as babysitters to help with the local need for childcare.
Public Works Smoke Testing - The Public Works Department will begin smoke testing portions of the City’s sanitary sewer system next week. The smoke testing is an inspection technique that aims to locate defects, breaks, leaks, and faulty connections which become sources of groundwater infiltration and stormwater inflow into the City’s sewer collection system. Preventing infiltration and inflow (I/I) minimizes processing and treating unnecessary water at the Water Reclamation Facility (WRF) and consequently helps reduce operating costs at the WRF. Also, reducing I/I helps manage the risk of an overflow discharge event into the Strait during wet weather. I attached the press-release from last Friday for more information about the testing.
- Planning Calendar – Was attached