For week ending january 22
Here are this week’s items:
- Sequim 101 – Sequim 101 launched last week with a presentation on our form of government (featuring Mayor Armacost and myself) and followed up this week with Chief Crain covering the Police Department. So far, we are getting great participation and feedback from the cohort participants.
- Sequim Health and Housing Collaborative (SHHC) Meeting – The SHHC met this week. Items discussed included the 2020 annual report (on Monday night’s agenda), the 2021 COVID-19 funding request (on Monday night’s agenda), a discussion with the new Executive Director of Serenity House, and a discussion with Kevin Lopiccolo (the Deputy Health and Human Services Director for Clallam County).
- Anti-Racism and Discrimination Steering Committee Meeting – Our City of Sequim Steering Committee met on Wednesday night. We received an update from Barb Hanna regarding planning for the upcoming Anti-Racism and Discrimination Community Listening Sessions. We’ve identified a qualified facilitator free of charge, have community support to assist with the sessions, and are in the process of coordinating with our facilitator on dates. Once we have some dates confirmed, Barb’s team will follow-up with the Steering Committee and then we’ll brief the Council prior to hosting the sessions. The timeline for the sessions is targeted for February and March.
- University of Washington Evans School Presentation – Last night, I provided an annual presentation on city management for Master of Public Administration students at the University of Washington Evans School. It was a great opportunity to highlight our city, all the work we’ve done, our culture, and the potential to work here.
- Planning Calendar - Was attached
for week ending january 8
Here are this week's items:
- Monthly Meeting between Commissioner Ozias and Mayor Armacost - The Mayor and Commissioner met this morning. Items discussed included COVID-19 vaccinations, reopening the Olympic Peninsula, housing, and a possible future joint City/County Council/Commission meeting.
- Public Works Interim Staffing - With the upcoming retirement of Public Works Director David Garlington, I appointed Matt Klontz as Interim Public Works Director and Matt appointed Dave Nakagawara as Interim City Engineer this week. Matt will have about a 4-week overlap with David before David takes the last couple of weeks of his time with us off. David's last day in the office will be Friday, January 29. Both Matt and Dave will serve in their interim roles for at least the next several months.
- Congratulations to David Garlington - If you see him around, please congratulate David on an outstanding career! We are planning an event for him on January 29th and will have more on that soon. We are also planning a proclamation for the 1/25 City Council meeting.
- Community Food Distribution – The report from the 12/23 food distribution is attached.
- Planning Calendar – Was attached