Sequim is a beautiful place to live, work and recreate ~ and everyone wants to keep it that way!
Three of Sequim City Council's six priorities adopted for 2018-19 involve improving the sustainability of City operations and mitigating the impact of our operations on the climate, responding to Resolutions R2012-11 and R2016-16. These Council priorities state the following:
- “Reduce recyclables and food waste hauled to the landfill.”
- “Invest in infrastructure and equipment to reduce carbon emissions.”
- “Develop and implement a strategy that increases solar as an alternative energy used in the community.”
The first progress report on sustainability actions by staff was presented to Council in December 2018 and it was clear that such values are indeed maintained at the individual level as well as the departmental level. Public Works staff is leading the tracking effort and prepared a summary of activities for 2016-2018 and details in a 5-page table. Following are several notable examples of recent and ongoing programs and services:
- Planning for future water shortages by identifying new sources and pursuing storage projects (started in 2014)
- Offering online bill pay and using electronic tablets to deliver work orders (2017-18)
- Converting all street lights to LED (2016)
- Converting fleet from gas and diesel to alternative fuel options (started in 2013)
- Partnering with PUD to install EV charging stations downtown (2018-19)
- Pursuing grants to install 50kW rooftop solar PV on Sequim Civic Center (2018)
- Leading coordination of regional emergency management and participating in regional hazard mitigation planning (started in 2014)
- Establishing an effective new model for delivery of $75,000 annually for social services (2018)
Next steps for 2019:
- Adopt a standard framework with categories of resiliency (such as Water Supplies, Infrastructure, Economic, etc.) and sustainability (such as Waste Reduction, Energy Efficiency, etc.).
- Establish measurable objectives within categories (e.g., tracking greenhouse gas emissions and recycling rates).
- Recommend goals and target dates for Council consideration.
Resolution 2012-11: Establishing a Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction Policy
Resolution 2016-16: Adopting Policies that Improve the City's Sustainability and Resiliency